VBAC Birth Story, by Lagarbah (Bahia)...
My Birth Story
A successful VBAC requires determined gynae and a determined mom2be.
Wow where to begin...
One week prior to delivery I had been getting increasing braxton-hicks and extremely uncomfortable and had to go into hospital for a CTG. It showed minor contractions but nothing near labour yet and my stubborn cervix was only 1cm dilated (post stretch and sweep at 39weeks).
Then due date 13 Nov. and still nothing...
Night before eid (17 Nov.) been getting increasing contractions more regular and stronger than before. I woke my hubby at 4am and he suggested we go into hospital.
SMS'd gynae to say happy eid and I am on way to hospital. Was admitted to labour ward (got my 1st ride in wheelchair) by the sweetest sister I met the year before so I was excited. CTG monitor showed minor contractions, only 2cm dilated gynae did a stretch to almost 3cm but was only in latent labour she decided to keep me in (coz VBAC) so needed monitoring...
and another wait began...
all day 2hourly CTG's walking up and down stairs, bouncing on ball but still irregular contractions so I was to wait till next morning and if no progress gynae would rupture membranes (break waters). So spent eid in hospital
Next morning, 18 Nov., around 8:30am, gynae ruptured membranes and stretched my cervix to 4cm so now only had 12hours in which had to deliver as after that risk of infection for baby goes way up.
So bounced on ball, walking around, yet trying to rest in between while contractions coming much stronger after my waters broke but still slow progress!
Pains were really bad so lunch time asked for epidural. My cervix was now only 4-5cm dilated. Got the epidural around 2:30pm after anaesthetist stuck me 6 times trying to find a space... but at least some relief. By this point I was so exhausted already, so tried to rest.
Gynae popped in at 5pm. Was 6cm dilated, so at least progressed. Got put onto antibiotics drip to prevent infection as my waters broken many hours before, plan was she would pop by at 8:30pm and hopefully will be ready to push!
Around 7pm shift change and the sweet sister came on duty... I was anxious to know how far dilated but thought wait for gynae. Nearing the time for her to arrive I started shivering uncontrollably... sister said was either fully dilated or epi was high. She checked and the epidural was right up to breasts, she turned it down a bit, still shivery...then down a bit more.
When gynae arrived I was excited I thought this is it... but bad news... 6-7cm dilated but a rim of cervix was still palpable preventing baby's head descending. My heart sank but was prepared for whatever she thought best. She said we could try and get baby's head passed cervix with vacuum but risky coz might tear cervix. I told her to give it a go but we can stop whenever she thought we should.
So I essentially started pushing at 6-7cm with her pulling at the other end. She also had to try and rotate head(was in an odd position) at same time. Paed was called in. It was a tough battle, and every time I thought going to end up with a ceasar.
Eventually after 30min, and an episiotomy somewhere in between, hubby said the head is there, I couldn't believe it!
Tried to feel head crowning but couldn't reach(legs up against stirrups) and with final push baby was out!! He was grunting a bit but paed gave apgars of 8 and 9. While delivering placenta cord snapped and gynae had to take out placenta with her hand!
Baby had lotsa swelling and bruising on head so hubby went up with him to nursery while I got stitched up. That night he stayed in nursery with a drip and only in morning fed him for 1st time. He latched so well!
All is well now with us all and we so happy to have our second little bundle of joy:)))
So yes VBAC is possible! (God willing!)
Ironically I was booked for c/s on 19th nov 1day after baby was born.