Hi Lee-Anne
I am no expert on the whole vbac thing but I'm sure ppl like Hasie will respond soon to provide some expert advice
I had an elective c-sec with my 1st baba. It was literally the day before my due date and i sat in the doc's office and he asked me how I was planning to give birth. And I realised I hadn't given it a lot of thought

Then my hubby was super keen for a c-sec and my gynae didn't even hesitate to say ok & set everything up in a flash for a c-sec for the next day. I don't blame him. It was my decision. I hadn't given it the adequate amount of thought.I let myself be swayed easily because I was at that vulnerable stage where u are 39.6days pregnant. Tired as hell of being preggy and a "quick way out" seemed like the easy option

So anyway, I had ac-sec the next morning. and guess what? I had gone into labour that morning as well!

but i felt like i couldn't change my decision at that stage. (I dont blame him, but I do think he could have asked more questions, asked me why I wanted a c-sec, advised otherwise, given me the options, i mean, i was a 1st time mom. NO risk factors! Absolutely NO reason to have a c-sec. one day before my due date...but anyway)
ANYWAY, that was just a bit of background. The minute my c-sec was done, I knew that it was the wrong decision (for me). I felt empty. I felt like a coward for not even trying. i felt like a failure. I felt robbed...i was just a mess emotionally.
So, that is why I have decided to try for a vbac. What I have been told is that the main risk factor is the rupturing of the scar. But the probability of that happening is like less than 1%. BUT they have to be very careful and monitor you quite closely during labour so that they can pick up early on signs of stress on the scar.
I saw a gynae up to 20 weeks then moved to a midwife at Genesis clinic. I felt that my gynae wasn't really keen on the vbac and that he also wasn't being honest with me about it. So he would keep saying "we'll see" and "it depends" and "its too early to think about that now." So, i made the decision to move to a midwife and to an Active birth centre where you will be much less restricted during labour. Also, i obviously chose a midwife who has done quite a lot of vbacs before.
So, final decision for me will be made at 36 weeks. Main things(according to MY caregivers) that will determine whether I can try for vbac will be:
> Position of baby: If my baby is still breech at 36 weeks, that's like a total no-no. (my baby was breech at my appointment on Monday at 30 weeks)
> Size of baby: Gynae (back-up gynae) said that he would be comfortable with a 3.5 kg baby. Above that, he would start to worry. (my baby was weighing 1.56kg's at 30 weeks so that's a bit of a worry for me)
> Reason for previous caesar: if u had a compelling reason for your previous caesar that might occur again then that's something that they take into consideration. (at least with me this is not an issue as i never even tried to labour the 1st time round

)
Ya, I think these are the main considerations in assessing whether you're a good vbac candidate or not.
So, its quite a difficult thing because you want to stand your ground and not let anyone scare u into having another c-sec. At the same time, you don't want to put yourself or baby at risk.
I know I will be devastated if they tell me at my 36 weeks that i cant do a vbac, but at least at Genesis, I will be 100% sure that they are coming from an honest place and not just because c-secs are more convenient for them...
I think that's what was key for me. I had to TRUST that my caregiver was giving me the BEST chance to have a vbac & that it was someone who actually truly believed that vbac is better than a 2nd c-sec, and if she then advised me against it, i would be SURE that it was the right advice.
Sorry for looooong post. Hope that helps.